Norwood liquor store receives four-day suspension

The Norwood Transcript reports that local package store Balboni’s has received a four-day suspension from selling alcohol because it sold alcohol to a 16-year-old in May. The suspension will take effect August 1. On May 8, Norwood Police saw a 16-year-old boy leaving the Washington Street liquor store with three 30-packs of beer, as well as wine and vodka. The minor was bringing the alcohol to a waiting car with three teens inside. According to attorney David DeLuca, who represented town counsel at the hearing, both the Norwood Police Department and representatives present from the store agree that the minor was allowed to buy alcohol. “It is my understanding that there is no defense to the facts of the case,” he said. “There is no dispute that the man was under age.”

The Transcript reports that this was Balboni’s Package Store’s first offense since a 2007 violation by a previous owner. A new policy implemented at Balboni’s since this incident requires that anyone who looks under 30 years of age must be carded.

Liquor license holders should keep in mind that valid identification to purchase alcohol can be a Massachusetts state license, a valid U.S. passport, a military ID or a Massachusetts liquor ID. An out-of-state license is not a valid ID for the purpose of purchasing alcohol. If you need a Massachusetts lawyer to represent you in connection with the sale of alcohol to a minor, please call Matthew Fogelman at 617-559-1530.


4 responses to “Norwood liquor store receives four-day suspension”

  1. Robert Dwyer says:

    Wow- that’s bizarre that out of state licenses aren’t valid IDs to purchase alcohol. That seems inordinately strict- especially in light of store policies requiring everyone regardless of age be carded. If someone visits here from out of state they really can’t purchase wine in a wine shop without bringing their passport? Crazy.At any rate I learned something new today- thanks.

  2. mfogelman says:

    Not exactly, Robert. This doesn’t even come up unless the licensee is charged with serving someone who is under 21. See, the law states that if a licensee is charged with permitting the service, delivery, or possession of alcoholic beverages by a person under 21 years of age, a licensee has a defense only if the licensee can affirmatively prove that prior to permitting the service, delivery or possession of alcoholic beverages by a person, the licensee requested, was shown, examined and reasonably relied on either:A valid Massachusetts driver license,A valid Massachusetts Liquor Identification card,A valid Passport issued by the United States government, or by the government, recognized by the United States government, of a foreign country,A valid United States issued active duty Military Identification Card.But if the licensee is shown a Florida license and the person is older than 21, everything is fine, provided that person IS actually older than 21. In other words, the issue of what license is valid ONLY comes up when someone is charged with sale to a minor.

  3. uocznwn says:

    gzbftS mhezqcwegdtr, [url=]usjzerxfpfys[/url], [link=]bfguxohkyznn[/link],

  4. mepqyfxsfbd says:

    FNfMS2 wghlcpqrrlxr, [url=]hekaksgfsptp[/url], [link=]xlrptowbcgis[/link],